Suggestions for immediate relief from MM traffic woes
Do you want an immediate relief from Metro Manila worsening traffic woes? Allow me to suggest the following:
- Implement a complete “odd-even traffic scheme” from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.—that is, one without the “open windows” and with the “odd numbers” (motor vehicles with license plates ending with odd numbers) banned on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; and “even numbers” (motor vehicles with license plates ending with even numbers) banned on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. No coding on Sundays.
- Synchronize all traffic lights on major streets, especially along Edsa and the national highways.
- Relocate passenger jeepneys for provincial routes and replace them with e-type jeepneys.
- Ban tricycles on major streets and also transition to the use of e-trikes for less carbon emission.
- Fast-track the construction of the connector-road between the North and South Expressways to decongest Edsa.
Buses should be exempted from this new “odd-even program” until long buses shall have been procured for mass transport.
This is a time for private car owners who are going to be affected by this new odd-even traffic scheme to make a great sacrifice; this is also an opportune time to go into “car pooling” to save on fuel consumption.
—ELISEO R. REBLANDO, director, Sta. Veronica General Clinic, Olongapo City
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.