Differences between religion and Christianity
The recent rally by Iglesia ni Cristo members showed the nation what religion is and what Christianity is not:
- Religion binds and blinds. Jesus Christ liberates and restores sight.
- Religion dictates and threatens. Christ exhorts and allows freedom of choice.
- Religion demands loyalty. Christ requires a willing heart.
- Religion can be savage, brutal and, sometimes, extremely corrupt. Christ gives life, and is always compassionate, just, forgiving and incorruptible.
- Religion thrives on membership and rules. Christianity thrives on holy lives; and it entails more than a name, rituals and form to become Jesus’ disciple or follower.
Perhaps—and this would be sad—religion, more than materialism, brought more souls to hell.
And, lastly, religion goes for block-voting. Christianity prays when voting.
—RENI M. VALENZUELA, [email protected]
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.