Foiling criminals riding in tandem
Criminals riding in tandem strike again. It is time to enact a law and eradicate this problem with these provisions:
1. The police can check riding tandems but for not more than a minute to prevent corruption (kotong).
2. “Helmets” (the protective headgear required of motorcycle riders) must be colored white.
3. Helmets and motorcycles must be registered in the barangay where their owners reside and in the police station which has jurisdiction over the barangay.
4. Motorcycles should be allowed a speed limit of not more than 30 kilometers per hour.
5. Reasonable reward should be given to informers who can lead authorities to criminals riding in tandem.
The salient provisions will minimize or even eradicate “riding-in-tandem” crimes.
—ROGELIO DONES EVASCO,
Women’s Advocacy for Reform and Advancement of Youth Movement, The Midland Plaza Hotel, Adriatico Street, Ermita, Manila
Subscribe to our opinion newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.