Civil disobedience is justified in many ways
1. When the head of state removes price control on all prime commodities that the poor basically need.
2. When lawmakers become the lawbreakers, blatantly desecrating the Constitution of the land. Note that the anti-dynasty provision has been transgressed by the Aquinos, the Estradas, the Villars, the Binays, the Cayetanos, the Marcoses.
3. When the government keeps creating new taxes, taxes and taxes without creating jobs for our unemployed.
4. When the head of state programs the precinct count optical scan machines so his candidates for senators, congressmen, governors, mayors get to win elections.
5. When our undredged, shallow rivers keep overflowing, thus flooding our farms because the shares in the so-called Priority Development Assistance Fund of our senators and congressmen are wasted on nonfunctioning, useless foundations.
6. When our farmers are so indebted to loan sharks because government does not subsidize our agriculture.
7. When our people have to seek jobs abroad because our leaders are so possessed of that “foreign-investor-dependent” mentality.
8. When everybody is miserable except our politicians.
It’s time to stop paying your taxes.
—DR. ASTERIO G. SAQUING,
Bambang, Nueva Vizcaya
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.