Dear presidential candidates: Before we vote for you…
One of you will be our country’s president after the 2022 elections. You must be aware that it is the hardest job you are applying for. For sure it will not be handed to you on a silver platter. You have to work hard. Remember, our elections are always polarizing and hurting.
During the campaign period, we urge you to act like a real president. Consider the following advice:
Choose your words carefully; use decent words. Be prudent with your actions. Don’t overpromise, or make promises you can’t keep. Be honest and transparent. Respect the opinions and beliefs of others. And honor your commitments.
However, before we cast our votes, tell us what your take is on the following issues:
- The government’s COVID-19 response
- Relations with China and the US
- The way forward for our economy
- Graft and corruption
- Full devolution to local government units
- Face-to-face or online classes?
- Payment of the country’s debt (Over P13 trillion by the time President Duterte is gone, according to an Inquirer report.)
Good luck on your journey to the presidency. God bless you and our country.
REGINALD B. TAMAYO,
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.