Weekly visits | Inquirer Opinion

Weekly visits

05:03 AM June 11, 2019

Mama called out my name and shoved me a little to wake me up. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I wasn’t mad at her for cutting my trip to dreamland, because I was used to this — Mama does this for at least once a week.

I looked outside the family bedroom’s window and saw a huge truck parked outside our house. I saw my name, printed in glow-in-the-dark stickers, pasted on its hood. Iara Paulina, read the letters placed just above its headlights.


I noticed a light between the bottom of the door and the floor and immediately got up, even though it was only past midnight and I needed to have at least eight hours of sleep as a 5-year-old. He’s here, I thought.

The brightness of the fluorescent light of our living room felt blinding. I knitted my brows, squinted and blinked a couple of times, until I saw a figure sitting on our sofa. He was smiling wide, showing off the gap where some of his teeth used to be.


“Papa!” I shouted, giggling. I ran to him and he circled his arms around my body. I felt his calloused hands pressing against my skin. He kissed the top of my head and I buried my face in his jacket.

Papa smelled like cigarette smoke and car air freshener. I hated both smells because they made me dizzy and nauseous, but I still held on to him.

I heard a rustle and pulled away from him, then I noticed that he was pulling something out of a plastic bag. He fished two boxes from the bag; the first one was the size of a school notebook, and the other was about as big as a cell phone. Both had a combination of red and blue colors and had faces of “Voltes V,” an old TV cartoon about a team of five people operating a huge robot to defend earth from horned humanoid aliens.

Papa and I used to watch “Voltes V” together on weekends, and he said that he, too, watched the show as a kid. He opened the bigger box first, and it produced parts of Voltes V. I sat beside him and started picking up the robot’s pieces, happy that I was able to create my own “Super Electromagnetic Machine Voltes V.”

Papa opened the smaller box, and it also contained chunks of my favorite robot, only smaller. I put the fragments on the floor and started assembling the foot of the robot.

“Matulog ka na, may pasok ka pa bukas. Bukas mo na gawin ‘yan,” I heard Mama say.

I didn’t want to go back to our bedroom because I wanted to finish building my toy. But I also didn’t want to be late for school in the morning, and I was afraid that my mother would scold me if I didn’t obey.


Papa’s encouragement for me to go back to sleep was the push I needed to tuck myself in. I went back to our bedroom and left my father picking up little robot pieces from our living room floor.

When I woke up the next day, I saw two figures at the tabletop of our living room’s “lamesita.” Voltes V was there, standing proud alongside a smaller version of him. I grabbed both and showed it to my mother who was at the kitchen. I peered at the kitchen door and noticed there was no longer a truck that blocked our view of the neighbors.

About a week passed before Mama woke me up at midnight again before I smelled that mix of cigarette smoke and car air freshener again, and I saw the truck that had my name on its hood.

* * *

Iara Paulina C. Raymundo, 20, is a communication arts student at the University of the Philippines Los Baños.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: father's visit, Iara Paulina C. Raymundo, weekly visits, Young Blood
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.