Quantcast

Editorial

Humanitarian crisis


Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin declared “mission accomplished” in Zamboanga City on Friday with the rescue of the remaining hostages of Habier Malik’s band, but the conflict that started on Sept. 9 has resulted in what the United Nations termed a “humanitarian crisis.”

How are the 118,819 men, women and children displaced by the fighting and crammed in 35 evacuation centers to pick up the pieces of their lives? For an idea of the extent of the residents’ suffering, at one point in the three-week conflict more than 50,000 people packed the city’s Joaquin Enriquez Memorial Sports Complex, the biggest evacuation center, presenting a logistical nightmare to the Department of Social Welfare and Development and local and international humanitarian agencies.

Late last week, Luiza Carvalho, UN resident and humanitarian coordinator in the Philippines, issued a statement expressing her agency’s “increasing alarm” at “the situation and the growing needs of the people caught up in the violence.” She said the UN was “particularly concerned for the most vulnerable, especially the wellbeing of women and children.”

The UN has reason to be alarmed. The fighting between government troops and the Malik-led renegades belonging to the Misuari Group of the Moro National Liberation Front has forced the displaced families to make do with the barest of provisions and sanitation facilities. The miserable conditions inevitably led to the spread of disease—notably measles and chicken pox, extremely communicable diseases especially in dense populations—at the sports complex. Last week, a two-month-old baby died from severe dehydration at the complex, according to Fr. Eduardo Vasquez. “Even the mother could barely walk, probably out of exhaustion,” he said.

“We are particularly concerned that aid is delivered in an impartial manner, with the needs of the most vulnerable met and those outside the evacuation centers not forgotten. The United Nations calls on all parties to uphold the principles of impartiality, humanity, neutrality and independence,” said Carvalho.

Expectedly, the schooling of some 12,000 public school children in Zamboanga has been badly disrupted. It will take three months for the schools in the war zone to resume regular classes, according to Assistant Education Secretary Rey Laguda. But he said the Department of Education would use “alternative delivery modes” for the four affected public schools and would immediately “take into account each and every learner.”

Officials say nine civilians (including children), 19 soldiers, five policemen, and 138 rebels were killed, and 57 civilians, 167 soldiers and 14 policemen were wounded in 19 days of fighting. The extent of the devastation is grimly illustrated by news photographs and footage showing soldiers wearing gas masks and residents overcome by the stench of decaying corpses. As many as 223 renegades have been captured and 52 have surrendered. And Zamboanga Hermosa lies in ruins, literally and figuratively, its future prospects in danger. “There’s only one word to describe what is happening in the city—catastrophic,” Zamboanga City Chamber of Commerce and Industry president Cholo Soliven has remarked. “[O]ur economy is bleeding.”

Gazmin said government forces had rescued a total of 194 hostages, with the troops now conducting a “direct action” to hunt down Malik and the rest of the renegades. Rebellion and other charges are being prepared by the Department of Justice against Nur Misuari and his commanders. But apart from these efforts, it behooves the government to also look into the renegades’ claims that they had been promised money and munitions to do havoc in Zamboanga. More important, where did the money to initiate and sustain the renegades’ incursion come from?

President Aquino is said to have earmarked P3 billion for the rebuilding of Zamboanga. “This is a huge challenge to us but the government is making sure that the early recovery and rehabilitation efforts are well organized and systematic,” Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman has said. But if the root of this crisis is not addressed once and for all, and if the parties responsible for this costly and unforgivable adventure are not immediately and justly punished, all those efforts will be for naught.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


More from this Column:

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Short URL: http://opinion.inquirer.net/?p=62231

Tags: editorial , opinion , Voltaire gazmin , Zamboanga crisis , zamboanga standoff



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • 4 French journalists held hostage in Syria freed
  • CBCP vows to uphold sacredness of life
  • Car bomber kills at least 6 at Syrian government checkpoint
  • Nothing should impede normalization of Russia-West relations – Putin
  • Prosecutor says mate in SKorean ferry steering waters for 1st time
  • Sports

  • MLB pitcher donates $100,000 for Sewol ferry victims
  • Hamilton takes pole at Chinese Grand Prix
  • Duke’s Rodney Hood joining Jabari Parker in NBA draft
  • Phelps entered in 3 events at comeback meet
  • Boston prepares for huge wave of marathon visitors
  • Lifestyle

  • Levine designs womenswear with help from fiancee
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • Entertainment

  • Myx TV premieres Asian American ‘docu-series’
  • A nutty finale for ‘Scandal,’ TV’s craziest show
  • EXO postpones release of mini album ‘Overdose’
  • ‘X-men’ filmmaker slams ‘fabricated’ sex attack claims
  • Singer Chris Brown’s bodyguard on trial in DC
  • Business

  • Fiat-Chrysler to produce iconic Jeep in China from 2015
  • US commerce secretary spells out economic facet of ‘pivot to Asia’
  • Italy sells luxury state cars on eBay
  • Asian shares mostly up in quiet trade
  • Dollar up in Asia on US jobs data, Ukraine deal
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • 5 Filipinos with MERS in UAE reported in stable condition
  • PH boosts MERS monitoring after UAE nurse scare
  • Canadians back PH plea to take back waste
  • We treasure our Sierra Madre
  • OFW from UAE tests negative for MERS-Cov–health chief
  • Marketplace